Recommendations for Manitoba’s proposed cap-and-trade system
This document outlines the Pembina Institute's recommendations concerning the Government of Manitoba's proposed cap-and-trade system.
According to our analysis, cap-and-trade could maximize its potential to reduce greenhouse gas pollution and support investment in clean energy solutions in Manitoba if:
• the system is implemented by January 2012
• the cap aligns with short- and medium-term reduction targets
• all sources of measurable emissions are included in the system
• emissions allowances are auctioned rather than provided for free
• reliance on offsets is reduced or eliminated