Come change Canada with us
Help us lead Canada's clean energy transition
We deliver clean energy solutions — backed by rigorous research and analysis — into the hands of Canada’s decision makers and key influencers.
Join our dynamic team of nationally recognized professionals working on Canada's most pressing energy and environmental challenges.
Just some of the benefits
Beyond the personal benefits that come from working in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment with smart, strategic and values-driven people, Pembina Institute staff enjoy the following:
- extended health and dental coverage
- four weeks of holidays per year
- RRSP plan
- training and professional development opportunities
- competitive non-profit salaries
The Pembina Institute is seeking a motivated, conscientious and experienced communications lead to join our team, based in Calgary, Alberta. This position reports to the Alberta Regional Director with management/supervision from the Communications Director, and is responsible for providing communications support for various program areas. The communications lead will be a key contact for journalists and public inquiries related to the region, while interacting with other members of the communications team and staff across the organization on a regular basis.
The role requires strong writing/editing ability, familiarity with emerging communications trends (including social media), strategic planning and project management skills, media relations experience and familiarity with digital publishing. Strong interpersonal, time management and writing/editing skills are essential; experience in social media, marketing, strategic communications, media relations and journalism are assets for this role. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the Calgary, Edmonton and/or regional Alberta media markets and have a strong interest in our programs focused on responsible fossil fuels and clean economy.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to apply a wide range of communications skills and approaches to help staff communicate effectively and strategically with the Pembina Institute’s core audiences, which include government and business decision-makers, policy influencers and journalists. Working within a dynamic and collaborative communications team, you’ll have the opportunity to play to your strengths while also developing new skills through mentoring and hands-on experience.
This role is primarily focused on supporting regional communications efforts in Alberta around oil and gas, oilsands, electricity, energy efficiency and clean technology. Regional communications leads also play a significant role in shaping and supporting organizational communications initiatives, under the leadership of the Communications Director.
- Post-secondary education in communications, marketing, media relations or journalism
- Two or more years of work experience in a related field
- Attention to detail and a commitment to personal excellence
- A superb command of the English language (reading, writing and speaking)
- Proven skills and experience in media relations, digital engagement, popular communications, technical and copy editing, online publishing and multimedia
- Excellent editing and popular writing skills in English
- Demonstrated knowledge of CP style and other academic grammar and style conventions
- Demonstrated familiarity with various social media tools, platforms and strategies
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgment at all times
- Commitment to the Pembina Institute’s values, vision and mission
- A deep interest in Canadian energy and environmental policy issues
Application deadline: Midnight on Sunday, July 3, 2016.
The Pembina Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Analyst, Transportation and Urban Solutions (Toronto)
This position has been filled. We thank all applicants for their interest.
There are no volunteer positions currently open at the Pembina Institute.