Leading the way to greener buildings
The Green Building Leaders project is an opportunity for leading local governments to develop, test and adopt progressive green building regulations and programs that will help their communities reduce energy use and emissions while setting the stage for broader change in the province.
Green Building Leaders projects
- With funding from the Real Estate Foundation and partner communities, the Green Building Leaders are working on mandatory energy labelling for new and existing homes.
- In 2013, leaders asked the provincial government to support actions that would help B.C. lead the way to the greenest building industry in North America.
- In 2010 and 2011, the Green Building Leaders project designed and evaluated a policy to implement a minimum renewable energy requirement for new buildings in B.C.
- The project also assessed various financing programs that facilitate the implementation of building energy efficiency and renewable energy.
In 2008-2009, the Green Building Leaders project worked closely with local government partners to research and consult on three broad policy areas: energy performance standards for existing buildings, renewable energy requirements for new buildings and higher energy performance standards for new buildings.
Green Building Leaders partners
Local government participants
- Campbell River
- Cowichan Valley Regional District
- Dawson Creek
- Fort St. John
- Regional District of Nanaimo
- City of North Vancouver
- Prince George
- Sunshine Coast Regional District
- West Vancouver
We would like to thank the following sponsors for making this project possible: